Torrington Fish and Game Resources
TF&G Hunting and Pheasant Liberation Map – PDF Click Here
For The State of Connecticut Hunting Season Dates and Regs Click Here
Torrington Fish and Game Required Safety Video
THE TORRINGTON FISH AND GAME ASSOCIATION, INC.
HUNTING RULES AND REGULATIONS – rev. 4/3/23
- CT DEEP regulations for hunting shall apply except as superseded by Club policy.
- Hunters must have a valid CT Hunting License as well as all appropriate tags, stamps and permits as required by the CT DEEP. Hunters must view the hunting safety video on the website and sign off on their sign-in book sheet prior to hunting each season.
- An orange hat and 400 square inches of florescent orange clothing must be worn above the waist and be visible from all sides by all hunters.
- Children and grandchildren ages 12-15 who hold a valid CT Junior Hunting License can only hunt with an adult member. Those aged 16-18 who hold a valid CT license are also required to hunt with an adult member. The combined bag limit may not exceed the bag limit of a Single or Family Membership.
- Non-member guests are allowed to hunt with a guest hunting permit while accompanied by a member (see regulations pertaining to guests).
- During pheasant hunting season at the Torrington Fish and Game Association under Preserve Status, ALL CLUB MEMBERS MUST SIGN IN BEFORE BIRD HUNTING & SIGN OUT AFTER BIRD HUNTING. The sign-in books will be in the Clubhouse in alphabetical order. The combination for the Clubhouse door is on the pheasant liberation sheet. Find your name in the appropriate book and sign in before hunting. After hunting, return to the Clubhouse and sign out. You MUST use the pheasant tags provided and tag your birds before leaving Club property. Only take the appropriate number of tags. This rule applies to bird hunting on all properties. EVERYONE MUST SIGN IN AND OUT NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE HUNTING. SUNDAY HUNTING IS ALLOWED ON FISH & GAME OWNED PROPERTY ONLY. Sunday hunting is allowed for pheasants only starting at noon and ending 1⁄2 hour after sunset.
- A Club identification tag must be worn on the hunter’s back whenever hunting on any Club or participating landowner’s property. Tags are issued by the secretary to all members who are in good standing.
- NO HUNTING IS ALLOWED ON STOCKING DAYS BEFORE 8:00 AM, with the exception of raccoon, deer, turkey, waterfowl and coyote hunting, for which CT regulations apply. Hunting begins at 7:00 AM on all other days except Sunday, when hunting begins at 12 noon. On Saturdays when there are two stockings taking place, the Club is closed to all small game hunting from 11:30 AM until 1:00 PM to allow re-stocking for the afternoon.
- Vehicles must be parked in accordance with Torrington Fish and Game Parking Regulations.
- Pheasant hunters must remain in parking areas or at the roadside until starting time. DO NOT ENTER HUNTING AREAS OR WALK TO INTERIOR HUNTING AREAS PRIOR TO START TIME. A current TF&G window sticker must be displayed on the vehicle.
- There is a safety zone around the clubhouse where all guns must be unloaded while in the grass mowed area. Guns can be loaded once the hunter reaches the stocked areas. There is a safety zone at the main pond parking lot. Guns can be loaded once the hunter reaches the second gate away from vehicles.
- Dogs must be kept in vehicles or leashed until starting time.
- Shotguns may be used to hunt any game species. Firearms with ammunition not exceeding .22 rim fire (does not pertain to muzzle loaders) are permitted on Club property. Archery equipment, shotguns, handguns and muzzle loading rifles may be used to hunt deer per DEEP rules and appropriate seasons. No other firearms are allowed (CENTER FIRE RIFLES ARE NOT ALLOWED FOR ANY HUNTING)
- Small game hunting other than pheasant is not allowed on Landowner property.
- Landowner’s property closes to all hunting by Club members at the end of legal hunting on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
- Small game hunting is closed from the Monday after Thanksgiving through the following Saturday (six days). Only deer hunting is allowed on Club owned property during this week.
- The season limit for pheasants is 35 birds. There is a daily limit of two birds for a Single Membership and four birds for a Family Membership.
- On stocking days only, dogs must be leashed after reaching the bag limit.
- Every effort should be made to keep your dog under control while on Club property.
- There is to be no cleaning of game other than deer on Club property.
- Ruffled Grouse hunting is not allowed on Club property.
- Shooting of game birds on the ground is strictly prohibited.
- Hunters are required to open gun actions in all safety zones.
GUEST HUNTING PERMIT REGULATIONS – rev. 4/3/23
1. Requests for guest passes must be made at a minimum of 48 hours in advance.
2. Any guest hunting on Club lands must only hunt while in the company of the sponsoring member.
3. Any guest who hunts on Club lands must have a valid CT hunting license and appropriate tags, stamps and/or permits, as necessary.
4. The sponsoring member must register his guest in the hunting sign-in book under his name.
5. A guest may take up to two pheasants per day which must be tagged with Club supplied tags and registered in the hunting sign-in book in accordance with item #4 above.
6. Any violation committed by a member’s guest will be treated as if it was committed by the member himself.
7. Guest hunting privileges are for pheasant hunting only.
8. A guest is allowed to hunt only twice on Club lands from the second pheasant stocking date until Thanksgiving each year. After Thanksgiving, this limitation does not apply.
9. Guest hunting permits must be purchased in advance from the Club Secretary or his designated agent and will be issued on a first come, first served basis upon receipt of payment of the permit fee. The guest fee is to be determined at the annual budget meeting.
10. The designated agent for the issuance of guest hunting permits will be posted on the pheasant liberation schedule.
11. Monies collected from guest hunting permits will be used to purchase additional pheasants.
12. On pheasant stocking dates permit issuance shall not exceed 5 per morning session and 5 per afternoon session on Saturdays, 5 per day on Wednesdays, and 5 on Thanksgiving. There is no limit on guest permit issuance on non-stocking days. NO GUEST PASSES WILL BE ISSUED ON OPENING DAY.
13. A guest’s name, address, and valid CT conservation number are required to be submitted as a condition of issuance of the guest hunting permit.
14. The Guest Permit must be affixed on the back of the guest while on Club property.
15. An orange hat and 400 square inches of florescent orange clothing must be worn above the waist and be visible from all sides by all hunters and guests.
Dog Training Rules – rev. 3/17/23
- CT DEEP regulations for hunting shall apply.
- Hunters must have a valid CT Hunting License.
- An orange hat and 400 square inches of florescent orange clothing must be worn above the waist and be visible from all sides.
- ALL CLUB MEMBERS MUST SIGN IN BEFORE using the regulated Dog Training Area and MUST SIGN OUT AFTER leaving the Regulated Dog Training Area. The sign-in book marked “Regulated Hunting Dog Training Area” contains a sheet for all hunters using the Regulated Dog Training area and is located in the clubhouse. Sign in your name in the appropriate book before and after hunting, (RETURN TO THE CLUBHOUSE TO SIGN OUT). You must log in the Date, your name, license number and species released and the quantity released.
- An orange flag must be displayed on the front porch post of the clubhouse before going out to train your dogs. This flag MUST BE removed when you are finished training and are signed out of the book in the clubhouse.
- The state permit issued to TF&G states that persons may only shoot artificially propagated birds and pigeons within the dog training area on the 10 acres designated as a training area.
- The map of the 10 acres designated in the permit for TF&G is available in the Clubhouse. Hunters must stay within this designated area for dog training.
- Permission for use is authorized on Sundays.
- A Club identification tag must be worn on the hunters back.
- Usage of the dog training area will begin at 7:00 a.m.
- A current TF&G window sticker must be displayed on the vehicle.
- Dogs must be kept in vehicles or leashed until starting time.
- Shotguns may be used. Firearms with ammunition not exceeding .22 rim fire (does not pertain to muzzleloaders) are permitted on club property.
- Every effort should be made to keep your dog under control while on club property.
THE TORRINGTON FISH & GAME ASSOCIATION INC.
- Vehicles must display a current year’s colored Club membership sticker on the rear bumper or on/in the rear window.
- Club members must park their vehicles in the designated areas as described herein. Please do not block any bar way, driveway or roadway. Club members may not drive onto property provided by landowners for Club use.
- During any hunting season, when parking on the grounds of the Club proper (West side of Weed Road), members must park between Weed Road and the upper gate. Three parking areas are provided. The first area is located on the left (South) side of the driveway immediately past the first (main) gate. The second area is located on the right (North) side of the driveway just before the second (upper) gate. The third area is located just past the rental house, near the Club’s northern border. The upper gate must remain closed during the hunting season, except as provided below. When parking, please do not block either gate or the driveway.
- During the pheasant season, vehicles will be allowed to drive to and park at the clubhouse for the purpose of signing in and signing out, only.
- When accessing Club land on the East side of Weed Road, the Trout Pond Parking Lot may be used for any permissible activity, including hunting.
- When using Club property not otherwise described in these regulations, or when using property provided by landowners for our use, please park on the roadside. Do not drive onto any property or enter any driveways or bar ways. Please have respect for the landowners/farmers who must use these passageways in their daily routines. Blocking their driveways and bar ways will not make them happy.
- Please note: THE TORRINGTON FISH AND GAME ASSOCIATION INC. WILL NOT ACCEPT LEGAL OR FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY SHOT-DAMAGED VEHICLES. CLUB MEMBERS ARE REMINDED THAT THE POND PARKING LOT AND THE TWO PARKING AREAS (AS DESCRIBED ABOVE) ALONG THE CLUB MAIN DRIVEWAY ARE HUNTING AND LIBERATION AREAS. CLUB MEMBERS WHO PARK THEIR VEHICLES IN THESE LOCATIONS DO SO AT THEIR OWN RISK.
TORRINGTON FISH & GAME ASSOCIATION
SIGHTING – IN FACILITY RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Upon arrival at the Club, stop at the second gate and place the placard to Facility “In Use” side.When leaving after shooting, return the placard to “Not In Use” side.
- All members MUST SIGN IN before starting to shoot.A sign in sheet is located at the shooting bench. The sighting – in facility is for the use of Club members and families only!
- All shooting must be from the bench only.No shooting is allowed from down range. All shooters must shoot through the culvert pipe to ensure hitting the backstop. Any member found violating this rule is subject to immediate dismissal from the Club.
- The facility is CLOSED to shooting when the grounds are rented, or when 3-D Archery or Turkey / Ham shoots are scheduled.
- a.Check the web site for dates when activities are scheduled.
- b. During the Fall Archery Season (September through December) and Upland Bird Season (October through January), the facility is ONLY open Sundays, 9 a.m. till noon.
- c. During Deer ShotgunWeek (the week after Thanksgiving) the range will be CLOSED (including the Sunday immediately following Thanksgiving).
d. During Winter Small Game Season (January 1 – February 28/29), the facility is only OPEN on Sundays, 9 a.m. until noon.
- e. During Spring Turkey Season, the facility will be open at 1:00 p.m. daily and will close at sunset*.
- f. The facility is OPEN for use from 9:00 a.m. until sunset* daily, unless stated otherwise above. *(A table of sunset times will be posted at the bench.)
- NO HANDGUNS OR 50 CALIBER CENTER FIRE RIFLES ALLOWED.
- No shooting of metal or glass targets.
- No continuous rapid fire (maintain a minimum of 3 seconds between shots).
- Clean up after yourself.This includes targets, backers and casings/hulls.
- Limit shooting to 30 minutes if someone else arrives to shoot.
- Firearms must be “made safe” (unloaded, action open) when down range.
- Follow all standard safety precautions when shooting, including eye and ear protection.
THE TORRINGTON FISH & GAME ASSOCIATION, INC.
RULES FOR THE TORRINGTON WATER COMPANY
(NORTH GOSHEN POND)
A. The Torrington Water Company allows the Torrington Fish and Game Association
privileges at North Goshen Pond by Active TF&G members ONLY.
B. You must have a valid Connecticut fishing license and abide by Connecticut fishing
C. All fisherman must use the outhouse.
D. TF&G members must park and enter from the East Street north parking lot ONLY
with a current TF&G sticker in the window of their vehicle.
E. Fishing is only allowed from the shore, no boats, canoes or inflatable devices
F. No cleaning of fish on the premise and when ice fishing no fish are to be left on the
G. One current day daily permit must be filled out at the Torrington Water Company
entrance gate lock box behind the TWC sign.
H. Keep the pond and its surroundings clean. Carry out what you carry in and be
courteous, if you come across trash please remove it and dispose of properly.
I. For any other activity (work party maintenance, etc.) at the Torrington Water
Company property, TF&G members MUST notify the Torrington Water Company as
to who, when and why they will be there.
J. Permits must be shown to the Torrington Water Company personnel or law
enforcement upon request.
K. Torrington Fish and Game MUST notify the Torrington Water Company when ice
fishing will start and end.
L. Any violations will result in a 30-day suspension from fishing. The member’s
privileges will be revoked permanently upon a second violation.